Dehydration can affect anyone, whether healthy, young, old, or suffering from a chronic disease. It’s true that as we age, our bodies become less sensitive to the sensation of thirst than they used to be. It’s more common than you think.
Our adult daytime center in Forest, Virginia, understands the importance of recognizing the signs and symptoms of dehydration so that you can make efforts to replenish any fluids you’ve lost. Various factors and situations can cause dehydration when you’re old, including:
- Excessive Heat: Sweating can cause dehydration in hot and humid conditions.
- Poor Health Condition: Dehydration can occur due to symptoms like fever, vomiting, or diarrhea. Minor ailments, such as respiratory or urinary tract infections, can strain the body’s fluid levels.
- Medications: A nurse aide may have to manage medication for most seniors, and some of those meds can cause extra fluid loss as a side effect. For instance, certain blood pressure medications, such as diuretics, may cause an increase in urination.
Our bodies rely on water for a wide range of bodily functions. That’s why it’s so necessary to drink an adequate amount of water or other fluids throughout the day to keep your body running smoothly.
To help you or your elderly loved ones stay hydrated, you can do the following tips:
- Drink water! Alternative beverages, such as milk, flavored sparkling water, and low-sugar fruit juices may also help keep you hydrated.
- Try putting in your diet and consume foods high in water content such as soups, broths, fruits, and vegetables.
- Drink more water if you’re going to be outside for an extended period or if you’re going to be working out.
- Discuss what kinds of fluids you need to drink to stay healthy with your healthcare provider.
You might get admitted to the hospital or a healthcare facility if the dehydration is severe. To avoid this, you can hire a personal care aide to assist you with your everyday tasks, such as drinking enough fluids and eating enough nutritious food.
Nursing and personal care services are available at the Raspberry Hill Adult Daytime Center, which can help you or a loved one in need! We dedicate our services to elderly individuals with memory loss or other disabilities.
With our services, you’ll be able to live a more fulfilling life! We also provide hybrid healthcare training classes in Lynchburg, Virginia, as an additional educational option.
Don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re ready to avail our adult day services in Virginia!
Leave a Reply